Beef Short Ribs with Potato-Carrot Mash
Braising short ribs in the oven can be a four-hour process. This recipe takes a fraction of that time.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 beef short ribs (about 3 1/4 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
In 6-quart pressure cooker, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high. Place flour in a shallow dish. Season beef with salt and pepper, then coat in flour, shaking off excess. Add beef to pressure cooker and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. (Brown beef in batches, if necessary.) Transfer to a plate. Add onion, garlic, and thyme to pressure cooker and saute until soft, 4 minutes. Add red wine and 1/4 cup water and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, 1 minute. Return beef to pressure cooker.
Fill steamer basket insert with potatoes and carrots and place over meat. Secure lid and bring to high pressure over medium-high heat; reduce heat and cook until meat is tender, about 50 minutes (adjust heat to maintain pressure). Remove from heat, vent pressure, and remove lid.
Transfer vegetables to a bowl with remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and mash; season with salt and pepper. Serve short ribs with potato-carrot mash and drizzle with cooking liquid.
SourceEveryday Food, September 2012