To make it vegetarian, swap vegetable broth for the chicken broth and stir in some roasted vegetables, such as mushrooms or cherry tomatoes, in place of the shrimp.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Andrew Purcell
Source: Everyday Food, September 2012
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp (31 to 35), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for serving
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
In a 6-quart pressure cooker, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 3 cups broth and season with salt. Secure lid. Bring to high pressure over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and cook until rice is tender, about 10 minutes (adjust heat to maintain pressure).
Remove from heat, vent pressure, and remove lid. Stir in remaining 1 cup broth and shrimp and cook over medium until shrimp are opaque, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, herbs, and remaining tablespoon butter. Serve topped with additional herbs.