This healthier take on the quintessential Southern dish uses crushed cornflakes in place of cornmeal to create a crunchy crust without a drop a oil.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Photography: Andrew Purcell
Source: Everyday Food, September 2012
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds firm tomatoes (any color), cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- Lemon wedges or ranch dressing, for serving
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place wire racks in rimmed baking sheets. Place flour, eggs, and cornflakes in three separate shallow dishes and season each with salt and pepper. Stir cayenne into flour mixture. Coat each tomato slice first in flour, then eggs, then cornflakes, pressing lightly to adhere. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on racks and bake until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Serve with lemon wedges or ranch dressing.