Hearty Chickpea Stew with Pesto
As the evenings grow chillier, warm and nourishing dishes like this satisfying chickpea stew are welcome at dinner. A dollop of pesto gives a burst of flavor and one last nod to summer. Look for it in the refrigerated section of your market, or make your own.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 5 sprigs oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 thick slices stale rustic bread, crusts removed, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup basil pesto, for serving
A cup of chickpeas has 11 grams of fiber, 12 grams of protein, and 18 percent of the iron you need in a day.
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and celery, season with salt and pepper, and cook until golden, 10 minutes. Add oregano and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until onion is tender, 5 minutes.
Add chickpeas and bread and simmer until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve topped with pesto.
SourceEveryday Food, September 2012