1 of 7
Get your pet into the holiday spirit with this decorative ascot.
What You'll Need:
Fabric glue (optional)
Decorative cord (optional)
Needle and thread
2 of 7
Measure your dog's neck.
3 of 7
Print Felt Holly Ascot template. To get the right fit for your dog, divide measurement from step 1 in half, and add the resulting measurement to the length of template, extending the straight end accordingly.
4 of 7
Fold felt in half, and place template on top, with the straight end of template near the fold. Cut around template without cutting through fold, creating a long, thin rectangle that's roughly twice as long as template. Repeat, cutting another rectangle of felt, and then one from fusible webbing.
Lay a piece of felt over webbing, and iron to fuse them. Remove backing from webbing, and sandwich with a second piece of felt. Iron to fuse them.
Fold fused fabric in half, and place template so the straight end is on the fold. Trace template onto felt with a disappearing-ink pen, cut out the shape, and unfold.
5 of 7
Steps 6 and 7
Fold 1 holly leaf in half lengthwise, and press with steam to give leaf dimension. Repeat with remaining leaf.
If desired, use fabric glue to attach decorative cord from leaf tip to leaf tip, along center of collar.
6 of 7
Stitch on Velcro dots where the leaves will cross each other when collar is worn. Sew on 3 bells.
7 of 7
Once complete, place holly leaf ascots around dogs' necks for a festive Christmas outfit.
You Just Viewed
Felt Holly Ascot for DogsReplay
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- A Blueprint for Color
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Decorate with Brass
- The Barest Simmer
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter