1 of 6
Sweet details such as piped icicles, boughs of greenery, and a cinnamon-stick woodpile lend realistic charm to our Swedish gingerbread cottage. A light dusting of confectioners' sugar mimics freshly fallen snow.
You can also apply the basic methods of this cottage to construct other gingerbread houses, including the Snow-Swept Gingerbread Cottage.
Use the templates to make the house and chimney pieces, as directed. Cut out two 6 1/2-by-7 1/2-inch pieces of dough for the roof.
2 of 6
Once you've rolled, cut, and baked the cookie house's walls, roof, and other details using our Swedish Gingerbread House Recipe, a caramel syrup serves as the "glue." To assemble: Dip one edge of front piece in caramel, and allow excess to drip off. Coat only the edge that will be joined.
3 of 6
Working quickly (before caramel hardens), join coated edge of front piece to a side piece, forming a corner; press firmly to adhere. Repeat with remaining side piece. Dip both edges of back piece in caramel; attach to side pieces.
4 of 6
Immediately attach roof pieces to the coated side pieces, making sure they are centered and evenly aligned.
5 of 6
To construct the chimney, brush edge of each piece with caramel, one at a time, then join together, pressing firmly and holding over pan to allow excess to drip off.
6 of 6
Once the four walls are attached, quickly brush caramel over exposed edges of both side pieces. (If caramel in pan begins to harden at any time, warm briefly on the stove.)
You Just Viewed
Swedish Gingerbread House How-ToReplay
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- A Blueprint for Color
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- The Barest Simmer
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Decorate with Brass
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter