1 of 9
This how-to demonstrates marbleizing icing in swirled designs, as seen on this peppermint-candy cookie. For some of the detail work on this cookie, we used a squeeze bottle that can be fitted with a thin icing tip. If your bottle can't be used with icing tips, leave off those details or improvise with a squeeze bottle with a thin tip.
Once you've mastered this technique, learn how to make the Snow-Globe Cookies also shown here.
2 of 9
What You'll Need:
- Sugar Cookies
- Royal Icing, tinted to desired shades with food coloring
- Printable cookie-cutter template
- Plastic squeeze bottles, preferably with a thin tip
Using white icing in a thin-tipped squeeze bottle, outline the center of the cookie, leaving a small space around the outline for a border. "Flood" the center by making a zigzag of icing.
3 of 9
Use a toothpick to spread the icing evenly to fill the space.
4 of 9
While the white icing is wet, use red icing in a squeeze bottle with a thin tip to make 2 Xs on the white icing. Let the icing lines fall onto the white icing -- don't drag the tip of the bottle through it.
5 of 9
Drag the tip of a toothpick through the icing to make three concentric circles.
6 of 9
Using silver icing in a squeeze bottle with a thin tip, outline and flood one of the "wrapper" ends of the cookie. Use a toothpick to spread the icing evenly to fill the space. Repeat on other end. Let dry for at least 1 hour.
7 of 9
Using silver icing in a squeeze bottle fitted with a thin icing tip, pipe an outline around the cookie.
8 of 9
Pipe "wrinkles" on the wrapper. Let dry completely, 8 hours or overnight.
9 of 9
Tip: When decorating cookies with a squeeze bottle, air bubbles will sometimes appear in the piped icing. To eliminate the air bubbles, just pop them with a toothpick.
You Just Viewed
How to Make Marbleized Peppermint-Candy CookiesReplay
- Fun Birthday Cake Designs: The Icing on a Perfect Party
- 12 Homekeeping Multitaskers
- Vegetarian Recipes for Entertaining
- Tips and Tricks for Hosting a Cocktail Party
- Healthy (but Fun!) Lunches for Kids
- Double-Duty Dinners
- Embroidery Projects
- Editors' Picks: The Best of Decoupage
- How to Make Crepe-Paper Flowers
- Roast Chicken 101
- 10 Ways to Get Creative with Candles
- Our Favorite Bathrooms
- Bedroom Organizers
- Pet-Inspired Projects
- What's for Dinner? 10 Budget Meals