Help your kids visualize their extended family in a cute and colorful way. Use our tree template to transfer the tree onto a bedroom or playroom wall, and paint. Then use the bird templates to depict the grandparents and successive generations.
Tools and Materials
- Tree template
- Bird templates
- Projector (optional)
- Painters' tape
- Graphite transfer paper
- 3 quarts of interior wall paint, 1 color for tree and 2 others for birds (in Jupiter Glow, #021; Orange Appeal, #124; and Himalayan Trek; all by Benjamin Moore)
- Paintbrush (for tree and birds, size 16)
- Fine-tip paintbrush (for names, size 0)
Birds of a Feather Family Tree How-To
1. Print the tree and bird templates. If you have a projector, use it to project image onto wall, and trace with pencil. Otherwise, print on multiple sheets of paper and tape together. Tape templates to wall and, with transfer paper taped beneath, trace outline.
2. Using transfer paper, trace birds onto limbs. (Start with owl grandparents at bottom, then branch up and out with children and grandchildren.) Paint tree; let dry.
3. Paint birds; let dry. With fine-tip brush, write in names.