Ombre Glittered Seashell Ornaments
Trim your tree with treasures from the sea. These shell ornaments are dusted with two shades of glitter and blended for a dazzling ombre effect.
- Fine glitter in various colors, Essential Colors 24-pack glitter set, by Martha Stewart Crafts, available at Michaels
- White craft glue, by Martha Stewart Crafts, available at Michaels
- Seashells, from seashellcity.com
- Dremel drill with 1/16-inch bit, dremel.com
- Metallic cord, 1/16 inch, in gold and silver, from tinseltrading.com
- Faux pearl beads, from lavalierenyc.com
- Small baking cups (to hold glitter)
Select 2 colors of glitter. Mix them in varying proportions to form several gradations. We combined a deep color with gold and made three blends for a range of five shades; far left is the pure color, far right is pure gold, and the blends are in the middle.
In this photo, we combined a deep color with white gold (instead of pure gold) and made three blends for a range of five shades.
Brush white craft glue across one end of a shell (such as an Irish deep scallop shell). Use a spoon to sprinkle with glitter, starting with a shade at one end of your color range. Gently shake off excess, and continue applying glue and glitter in sections (no drying time is required) until the final color in your range is applied to the opposite end of shell. Let dry. Turn shell over; glitter reverse side with 1 solid color.
To hang: With a Dremel drill and a 1/16-inch bit, drill a hole at one end of shell. Insert a loop of metallic cord into hole; knot inside shell. (For spiral shells, just hot-glue loop inside shell.) Slip pearl bead over loop; secure with a dot of craft glue.