Tools and Materials
- Cutting mat and ruler
- 24-by-36-inch heavy black paper
- Bone folder and craft knife (marthastewartcrafts.com)
- Orange vellum (papermojo.com)
- Adhesive glue tape (save-oncrafts.com) or double-sided tape
- Wire cutters
- 19-gauge annealed wire
- Chain-nose pliers
- Clear monofilament
- Battery-operated votive candles (createforless.com)
- Removable adhesive hangers, such as 3M with Command Adhesive (hardwarestore.com)
- Templates and clip art: witch, owl, moon, cat 1, or cat 2
Hanging Vellum Halloween Lanterns How-To
1. Print and cut out a lantern template (see the second page of the owl and witch templates for the correct hanging-lantern templates). Trace template four times, side by side, on black paper as shown (use 2 sheets if needed); with a bone folder, crease where sides meet. Cut out.
2. Print 4 copies of a design (try the cat, hissing cat, moon, owl, or witch clip art available above) onto vellum; a laser printer works best. Cut each piece just larger than frame "windows." Tape vellum into frame. Form into lamp shape; tape edges.
3. Cut a 26-inch length of wire. In the middle, twist a loop. Poke the wire ends through paper to make 2 holes at edge of lantern. Use pliers to roll ends of wire to secure. Use monofilament to hang 2 battery-operated votive candles, taped end to end, inside the lantern.
4. Use twine and removable adhesive hangers to suspend the lanterns.