Hanging Vellum Halloween Lanterns
When the sun goes down, set a spooky scene with these dramatic lanterns made from simple supplies and our exclusive clip-art designs.
- Cutting mat and ruler
- 24-by-36-inch heavy black paper
- Bone folder and craft knife
- Orange vellum
- Adhesive glue tape or double-sided tape
- Wire cutters
- 19-gauge annealed wire
- Chain-nose pliers
- Clear monofilament
- Battery-operated votive candles
- Removable adhesive hangers, such as 3M with Command Adhesive
- Witch template and clip art
- Owl template and clip art
- Moon template and clip art
- Cat 1 template and clip art
- Cat 2 template and clip art
Step 1 of 4
Print and cut out a lantern template (see the second page of the owl and witch templates for the correct hanging-lantern templates). Trace template four times, side by side, on black paper as shown (use 2 sheets if needed); with a bone folder, crease where sides meet. Cut out.
Step 2 of 4
Print 4 copies of a design (try the cat, hissing cat, moon, owl, or witch clip art available above) onto vellum; a laser printer works best. Cut each piece just larger than frame "windows." Tape vellum into frame. Form into lamp shape; tape edges.
Step 3 of 4
Cut a 26-inch length of wire. In the middle, twist a loop. Poke the wire ends through paper to make 2 holes at edge of lantern. Use pliers to roll ends of wire to secure. Use monofilament to hang 2 battery-operated votive candles, taped end to end, inside the lantern.
Step 4 of 4
Use twine and removable adhesive hangers to suspend the lanterns.