Ready to make your own levitating table and treats? Learn how to create this enchanting illusion.
Tools and Materials
- Round table kit (available at home centers)
- Large cardboard tube (available at home centers)
- Black spray paint
- Hammer and nails
- Sandbags (available at home centers)
- Lightweight, gauzy fabric (for tablecloth)
- Stiffy fabric stiffener (BAI100 1419613), by Plaid, from joann.com
- Medium weight string
- 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch dowels
- Glue gun
- Candy chain template
- .005-inch-thick clear acetate (SO5CL2540), from Grafix, 216-581-9050 or shopatron.com
- Candy in wrappers
- Similar urn, from Jamali Garden
- Monofilament (34568437), from Create for Less
- Screw eye (60025617), from Create for Less
Levitating Halloween Table and Treats How-To
1. Buy a round table kit and a large cardboard tube (available at home centers). Spray-paint tube black to make it less visible. Cut tube on an angle at the top to desired height for table. Nail three 1-by-1-inch blocks of wood to underside of tabletop, spaced to fit just inside tube, to hold it in place; anchor tube's bottom with sandbags, and then place tabletop.
For tablecloth, saturate layers of lightweight, gauzy fabric with fabric stiffener; place on tabletop and use string and dowels to hold fabric in position until dry. Attach table legs, and glue mini pumpkins to tablecloth.
2. For candy chain, enlarge template to desired size, and trace onto .005-millimeter-thick clear acetate; cut out. Hot-glue candy onto acetate; adhere one end to the inside of an urn and attach other end to ceiling with filament and a screw eye.