From easy embellishments to intricate animals, there's a topper to suit your every mood. Any basic cupcake will make an apt canvas.
Tools and Materials
- Cupcakes (any flavor)
- Chocolate candy wafers, such as Necco
- Chocolate Frosting
- 12 ounces fondant, tinted with yellow gel-paste food coloring
- 2-inch round cutter
- 7/8-inch round cutter
- 3-inch flower-shaped cutter
- Pastry bag
- Small plain round pastry tip
Monkey Cupcake How-To
1. For ears, make 2 small horizontal slits with a paring knife in opposite sides of 1 cupcake, just above paper liner, and then partially insert a wafer into each slit. Frost cupcake and wafers. Repeat, reserving remaining frosting.
2. Roll fondant to a 1/8-inch thickness. For each cupcake, cut out 1 round at 2 inches and 2 rounds at 7/8 inch; cut a straight edge on each 7/8-inch round. Using flower-shaped cutter, cut out 1 flower from fondant; cut off 2 petals, creating straight edges. For eyes, press the 2 petal pieces at top of each cupcake. For mouth, overlap bottom of eyes with 2-inch round. Place the 7/8-inch rounds on ears, straight sides in. Pipe pupils, nose, and mouth with reserved frosting, above.