Tools and Materials
- 18-inch-wide bunting, apolloflags.com or flagsexpress.com
- Sewing machine
- Fusible webbing, 1/2 inch by 20 yards, by Steam-A-Seam 2, from createforless.com
- Strong double-sided tape (optional)
Patriotic Door Medallion How-To
1. Measure two 39-inch-long pieces of bunting. Cut 2 identical pieces of bunting: Begin cutting after a star and end right before one, so you'll have about 3 inches of blue on each end. Trim off hems for easier pleating.
Join the 2 pieces together side by side (make sure stars line up): Overlap by 1/2 inch, and adhere using fusible webbing; iron to fuse. If you prefer, stitch the 1/2-inch overlap together. The final width should be about 32 inches.
Trim off the red and white stripes on both sides, which will result in a 5-stripe pattern: blue, white, red, white, blue.
2. Fold fabric accordion-style in 1 1/2-inch sections (A). Iron after each fold. Continue up length of fabric. Make sure your first and last folds are in the same direction.
3. Stitch along the middle of the folded rectangle to create a pivot point (D).
4. Connect sides of the rectangle by fanning out fabric from center stitch and adhering with fusible webbing (E-1); iron. Connect remaining sides with fusible webbing, or tape for easy disassembly and storage (E-2). Stitch monofilament through the fused edge in the back, and hang.