Tools and Materials
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 1 large pumpkin
- 2 mini pumpkins (for paws)
- Pointed gourd (for nose)
- Linoleum cutter, Lino Set No. 1 (No. 40203-1009), by Speedball, from Blick Art Materials
- Outdoor holiday lights (we used 20-light strands) or battery-powered candles
- Glass or glass jar
- Felt-tip pen or china marker
Pumpkin Raccoon How-To
1. Choose a pointed gourd to use as a nose. Trace the bottom of it around the bottom of a medium pumpkin, which will become the face. Cut a hole from the bottom of the pumpkin, and also from the bottom of the gourd; scoop out both. Cut another hole in the back of the head (top of pumpkin) for lights and ventilation, and for access to attach the nose.
2. Use a pen to draw facial details, and carve along those lines with a linoleum cutter, leaving a 1/2-inch thickness of flesh so light will shine through. Attach the nose by fitting the bottom of the pointy gourd into the hole in the pumpkin with toothpicks. Make ears from triangles cut from the pumpkin, set upright, and attached with toothpicks.