Cheryl DuLong, who works at Skylands, Martha's home in Maine, created these charming May Day baskets by using simple household materials. Fill them with flowers, candy, or trinkets to brighten someone's day, or follow May Day tradition by leaving baskets on your loved ones' doorsteps on May 1.
Tools and Materials
- A box, such as one used for oatmeal, salt, or tissues. You can also use paper cups.
- Crepe paper in desired colors
- Glue or stapler
- Pipe cleaners
- Silk flowers (optional)
- Flowers, candy and trinkets
May Day Baskets How-To
1. Cut the box to your desired basket size. Save a rectangular strip from the box to use as a handle after you've decorated the basket.
2. Fan-fold a piece of crepe paper to make the fringe on your box. Make more folds for thicker fringe.
3. Cut between the edges of the folded crepe paper. For finer fringe, make smaller cuts.
4. To decorate the box, start at the top and work your way down using glue or staples. You can alternate the colors by row or fold two colors together. Decorate the handle and the outside of the basket with flowers made from extra crepe paper or with store-bought silk flowers.
5. Use pipe cleaners or a cut-out strip from your box to make handles for the basket. Glue or staple the handle from one side of the basket to the other. Fill the basket with flowers, candy, and small trinkets.