Tools and Materials
- Six 4-inch round white paper doilies (No. 2104-90204), from Wilton
- Double-sided tape
- Magna-Tac 809 permanent adhesive (MT809), by Beacon, from Albert Zoll
- White floral wire
Doily Star Tree-Topper How-To
1. Fold 6 paper doilies (ours are 4 inches in diameter) in half, right sides facing. Open doilies, and lay them right side up.
2. Orient 1 doily so that its crease is horizontal. Affix a 1-inch-long strip of double-sided tape just above crease at the far right of doily. Refold to secure. Repeat with remaining 5 doilies. Lay 1 folded doily so that the fold is horizontal at bottom. With a pencil, mark a dot along fold 1 inch from right side. Repeat with remaining 5 doilies.
3. On 1 doily, make a perpendicular fold at marked dot, folding right corner in. Repeat with remaining 5 doilies.
4. On 1 doily, place a 1-inch-long strip of double-sided tape on the outer side of folded flap. Stack another folded doily on top, with the flat, unfolded side facing tape. Press to secure. Repeat to stack remaining 4 doilies.
5. Fan stacked doilies into a 6-petal blossom. Place tape on outer side of folded flap of sixth doily; press to unfolded side of first doily to secure.
6. Slip fingers inside each folded petal to open. Place a 3/4-inch-long strip of double-sided tape between adjacent petals, near the curved edges. Press to secure.
7. Slide white floral wire into 1 petal, and secure with a strong adhesive, such as Magna-Tac, at the hidden innermost part. If wire bends away from star, put small drops of adhesive along petal seam and hold until secure. Let dry. Attach to treetop with wire.