Green Salad with Grilled Corn, Cheese, Basil, and Grilled-Tomato Vinaigrette
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Andrew Purcell
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2012
- 2 ears corn, husked
- 1 large tomato (3/4 pound)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (from 1 small garlic clove)
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, trimmed, leaves separated
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces caciocavallo or Parmesan cheese, shaved
Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill corn, turning, until charred on all sides, about 5 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from ears.
Cut tomato in half. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt. Grill tomato, turning, until charred and softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and core; smash flesh with fingers. Whisk in vinegar, garlic, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and 1 teaspoon salt.
Combine corn, lettuce, basil, and cheese. Toss with dressing, and season with salt if necessary. Serve immediately.
Tomatoes grilled to the point of collapse are the key to this savory, chunky dressing.