Grilled Pizza with Cheesy Corn, Fresh Tomatoes, and Basil
A sweet and savory puree of corn, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and olive oil stands in for tomato sauce on this pizza.
- 15 ounces store-bought pizza dough
- 1 1/3 cups corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (1/4 cup)
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic (from 1 medium garlic clove)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt
- 2 small tomatoes (5 to 6 ounces total), thinly sliced (7 to 9 slices)
- 4 to 6 ounces mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
Let dough sit at room temperature (in package) 4 hours.
Puree corn, Parmesan, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor until smooth with small chunks.
Spread remaining oil on a baking sheet or pizza pan. Place dough on pan, and stretch to an even thickness, turning to coat both sides with oil. Let rest 1 hour, then restretch.
Preheat grill to medium. Season dough with salt, and transfer to grill, making sure to keep dough flat and even. Cover grill, and cook until dough is just charred on bottom, 5 to 6 minutes, checking frequently.
Flip dough. Spread corn mixture on dough, and top with tomato slices. Season with salt, and top with mozzarella. Cover grill, and cook until toppings are warmed through and mozzarella has melted, 5 to 6 minutes. Top with basil, and serve.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, August 2012