Tools and Materials
- Cutting mat with a grid
- Craft knife
- Beeswax sheets, from Alberta Beeswax & Candle Supplies, candlesandbeeswax.com
- Hair dryer
Basket-Weave Candles How-To
1. Working on a cutting mat with a grid and using a ruler and a craft knife, cut 1/2-inch-wide strips of beeswax that are 1/2 inch longer than the circumference of the candle and 1/4-inch-wide strips that are at least 1/2 inch taller than the height of the candle. (The number of strips needed will vary depending upon the height and circumference of the candle.)
2. Lay one 1/2-inch strip across the cutting mat, and use a hair dryer to soften the wax slightly. Line up the ends of all the 1/4-inch strips along the 1/2-inch strip, placing them 1/2 inch apart and alternating them on top and underneath. Press gently to adhere the strips, using the hair dryer as needed to soften them so they stick.
3. Weave in the remaining 1/2-inch strips, warming the strips on the mat before adding them and leaving a very small space between them. If a strip breaks, heat broken ends and press them together. When the woven sheet is large enough for the candle, trim the edges as needed to straighten.
4. Run the hair dryer over the wax sheet, then lay the candle on top; bring up 1 side of the wax sheet and press edge to adhere it to the candle. Roll the candle, wrapping wax sheet tightly and heating it as needed to meld the 2 layers and the overlapping seam.