Tools and Materials
- Craft glue
- 22-gauge floral wire
- Wire cutters
- Floral tape
- Brown-paper-wrapped 18-gauge floral wire
- 2 plain headbands
- 6 1/2-inch pail with handle
- Double-sided tape
- Crepe paper in the following colors and quantities: 2 sheets salmon (for tulip cap and pail), 2 sheets green (for leaves and calyxes), and 1 sheet pale pink (for rose headband).
- Petal template for tulip and rose, plus calyx template for tulip headdress, rose, and pail
Tulip and Rose Flower Costume How-To
For the tulip cap:
1. Photocopy petal, calyx, and leaf templates; cut out. Trace the petal template onto salmon crepe paper; cut out 9 petals (make sure the paper's grain runs vertically).
2. To shape petals, hold at the widest part; gently pull edges while pressing with thumbs to make a cupped shape. Curl the top left and right corners around a pen.
3. Trace the leaf templates onto green crepe paper; cut out 1 large and 3 small leaves for each sprig. Run a thin line of craft glue down center of each leaf; place an 8-inch piece of 22-gauge floral wire on top of glue. Fold leaf in half to cover wire; let dry. Gently unfold.
4. Wrap wire with floral tape, starting at the base of the leaf.
5. To make a sprig, bind 2 or 3 leaves together with floral tape. Trim 2 pieces of brown-paper-wrapped floral wire to 14 inches each. Twist wires together to form tulip stem, leaving 5 1/2 inches on each side untwisted at bottom. Bend untwisted segments apart to form an arc around top of headband; secure to headband with floral tape. Attach one petal to stem with floral tape, about 2 inches above headband. Stagger remaining petals, leaving an opening in front for face. Accordion-fold one piece of green crepe paper into 4 sections; trace the calyx template. Cut out calyx shape, leaving edges attached as shown; unfold. Wrap the calyx around the base of the tulip; scrunch and tape to stem on top of petals. Curl ends upward around a pen. Starting at top of flower, wrap stem in floral tape, taping one or two sprigs of leaves to stem. Bend stem slightly downward.
For the headband:
6. Photocopy petal, calyx, and leaf templates. Trace the petal template onto pale pink crepe paper; cut out 9 petals, then shape and curl. Attach first petal to brown-paper-wrapped floral wire, wrapping base of petal around wire to form a curled rose-petal shape. Continue taping petals to wire, layering around the stem.
7. Accordion-fold a 6-inch piece of green crepe paper into 4 sections; trace the calyx template. Cut out calyx shape, leaving edges attached where shown; unfold. Tape calyx to base of rose. Curl calyx ends downward around a pen. Wrap stem with floral tape. Bend rose along arc of headband, positioning bloom just past center. Trim wire stem at tip of headband. Secure rose to headband with floral tape, adding leaves and sprigs (as described in step 5).
For the rose pail:
8. Photocopy petal, calyx, and leaf templates; trim off bottom edge of petal template where indicated. Trace the petal template onto salmon crepe paper; cut out 9 petals (if using a different size pail, cut additional or fewer petals). Shape and curl petals. Wrap pail handle with floral tape.
9. Run one piece of double-sided tape around the outside of pail a few inches from the top edge and one piece along the bottom edge, then affix one piece to the bottom of each petal. Press each petal to the bottom piece of tape, then to the top piece, to secure, working around pail and overlapping as you go. Tuck the edge of the last petal underneath the first.
10. Accordion-fold a 19 1/2-inch piece of green crepe paper into 13 sections (if using a larger pail, add extra inches and additional sections); trace the calyx template. Cut out calyx shape, leaving edges attached as shown; unfold. Secure to base of pail with double-sided tape. Curl edges downward around a pen. Make leaves and sprigs (as described in step 4), and attach to handle.