Tip: Semi-sheer fabric makes a good backdrop for the birds.
Tools and Materials
- Panel of white muslin or polyester, cut to fit window, Roc-Lon Muslin (CIA123 3558715), in 90-inch, from Joann Fabric and Craft Stores
- Black plastic weed barrier (0214444), from Polsteins Home & Beyond or garden centers
- White chalk
- Fabric glue, by Dritz, from Joann Fabric and Craft Stores
- Bird templates
Spooky Bird Silhouettes How-To
1. Hem fabric panel and sew channel in top for a curtain rod, if desired (or you can simply tack the furnished panel into your window frame).
2. Use our bird templates to create one of our silhouettes: Enlarge the templates so you can see the details of the pattern clearly. Determine how wide you want the image in inches; divide that width by the number of squares in the template's width. That number is the size you should make each box in the grid.
Use a straightedge and chalk to draw the grid on plastic weed barrier (available at garden centers). Then draw the figure freehand with chalk, copying each portion of the image square by square.
3. Cut out bird silhouette. Apply glue around edges of bird and center of fabric panel. The silhouette panel can be used year after year.