- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
Photography: Frederic Lagrange
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2012
- 20 baby beets, scrubbed
- 5 onions (a mix of red and white), cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup Vinaigrette (balsamic vinegar variation), divided
- 2 teaspoons roughly chopped fresh oregano leaves, plus flowers for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh chervil leaves
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wrap beets in parchment-lined foil. Roast until tender, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, drizzle onions with oil, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast, turning once, until golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes.
Remove skins from beets; cut beets in half if large and leave whole if small. Toss beets with 1/2 cup vinaigrette and the herbs. Arrange onions on a platter. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Top with beets; garnish with oregano flowers.