Let easily crafted snowflake-inspired ornaments of cloth, ribbon, veneer, string, and paper fill your tree.
Tools and Materials
- Templates A and B
- Disappearing-ink marker
- Laminated linen or other sturdy, nonfraying fabric
- Fabric shears
- Scallop shears
- Neutral-colored thread
Three-Dimensional Doily Ornament How-To
1. Download templates A and B. Print onto card stock; cut out.
2. Using template A, trace 3 circles with a disappearing-ink marker onto laminated linen or other sturdy, nonfraying fabric.
3. Cut out 2 circles with fabric shears. Cut out remaining circle with scallop shears (or use straight-edged ones).
4. Lay template B atop 1 smooth-edged circle. With disappearing-ink marker, mark dots on fabric where lines on template fall. Using a ruler and disappearing ink marker, connect opposite dots to re-create lines on template.
5. Lay lined circle atop remaining smooth-edged circle; hand- or machine-stitch along lines with neutral-colored thread (we used blue to illustrate).
6. At each sewn wedge, fold in edge of top layer; secure each fold with a pin inserted through both layers.
7. Lay sewn circles atop scallop-edged circle. Along edge at midpoint of each wedge, tack middle layer to bottom layer. Tie off; trim thread. Remove pins; unfold top layer.
8. With disappearing-ink marker, mark a dot at each wedge's midpoint along edge. Slip a threaded needle under and up around 1 dot (through top layer only). Repeat at next 5 dots in order (do not cut thread).
9. Gently pull ends of thread, gathering top layer into center. Knot thread; trim. With twine, sew a loop to bottom layer, and knot to hang.