Cut linen to the size you want for a daybed or sofa. Cover floor with paper or old sheet to protect it. Lay linen flat on the floor. Adhere tape along linen, spacing strips as far apart as you want the width of the stripes to be, and using the selvage of the canvas as your guide.
Tools and Materials
- Fabric shears
- Raw medium-weave
- Belgian artists' linen, Sohomaterials.com
- Paper or old sheet, for work surface
- Painters' tape
- 1 pint acrylic paint, in titanium white
- Stencil brush
- Safety pins
Striped Daybed Cover How-To
1. Transfer some paint to a plate or palette. Dip end of brush into it, getting just a little paint onto the ends of the bristles. Blot excess paint onto a piece of paper so you have a "dry brush" for creating the uneven finish. In an up-and-down motion, dab paint to fill the stripes, finishing with side-to-side motion. The paint should have a weathered look. For more variety, use more paint for some of the stripes.
2. Let paint dry completely, at least 30 minutes. Remove tape. Place linen over a daybed or sofa cushions; secure in back and on sides with safety pins, and let front fall loose.