Fill these boxes with walnut cookies and hand them out as favors, or hang them on the tree.
Tools and Materials
- Acrylic paint
- Cotton gloves
- Size (adhesive available at craft and art supply stores)
- Gold- or silver-leaf sheets
- Pressed-paper ornament box (pinecone or acorn)
- Shredded glassine
Metallic Pinecone or Acorn Box How-To
1. Using a paintbrush, apply acrylic paint to both halves (inside and out) of a pressed-paper ornament box (pinecone or acorn). Let dry.
2. With another brush, apply size (an adhesive available at art-supply stores) to front of ornament (cover the lip that runs inside 1 half ). Let size set until it becomes tacky, about 20 minutes.
3. Wearing cotton gloves, lift 1 gold- or silver-leaf sheet. Drape over front of ornament; smooth gently with fingers. Using a soft-bristle brush, even out texture, removing stray flakes. Repeat, overlapping sheets slightly, until front is covered.
4. Reapply size and leaf to sections that aren't fully covered as directed in steps 2 and 3.
5. Fill half of box with shredded glassine and cookies; close box.