Tools and Materials
- Hydrated lime
- Natural-bristle paintbrush
- Spray bottle
- 150-grit sandpaper
Aging Pots: Lime How-To
1. Dissolve 1 cup hydrated lime in 2 cups water, stirring until no clumps remain. (This amount will age several small pots or 2 large ones. You can make varying quantities of the solution, but always use 1 part lime to 2 parts water.)
2. Use brush to apply lime solution to the pot, employing random strokes to paint on solution thickly in some areas, thinly in others.
3. Fill spray bottle with water, set it on the "stream" setting, and coat pot in various spots while lime is still wet. This thins the coating for a more natural look. Let dry.
4. Sand pot in random directions, wiping dust off frequently, until you have achieved the desired look.