Place mats decorated with autumn leaves can season a harvest dinner.
Tools and Materials
- Autumn leaves
- Medium-weight fabric
- Iron-on flexible vinyl (3902), fromTherm O Web
- Heavy book, such as a telephone book
Pressed-Leaf Place Mats How-To
1. Press leaves in book: one week ahead, press leaves by placing them in a heavy book -- arranged so they do not touch one another -- and weighing them down. Cut a 12-by-15-inch rectangle of medium-weight fabric. Cut two pieces of iron-on flexible vinyl slightly larger than the fabric.
2. Stick vinyl sheet over leaves: arrange the leaves on the fabric. (Watch for leaves with thick stems; they can poke through.) Peel backing from vinyl sheet. Place it sticky-side down over the leaves on the fabric, and smooth it out with your hand.
3. Iron the placemat: place protective paper shiny-side down on top of vinyl, and iron it for 6 to 8 seconds. Turn over, and iron for four seconds. Repeat vinyl process with other side. Trim edges.