Tools and Materials
- Assorted fabrics, like washed-silk or rayon velvet, 45 inches wide, bandjfabrics.com or silk dupioni fabric, nyelegant.com
- Sewing machine
- Long sewing needle
- Embroidery floss
- Needle and thread
Fabric Pumpkins How-To
1. Cut out a fabric rectangle on the bias that's twice as long as it is wide. (We used 5-by-10-inch, 8-by-16-inch, and 11-by-22-inch pieces for our three pumpkin sizes.)
2. Fold rectangle, right side up, so short sides meet; stitch along that edge with 1/4-inch seam allowance. With doubled thread and running stitches, sew along 1 end; pull thread to cinch fabric closed, and stitch to secure.
3. Turn pouch right side out; stuff with batting. With doubled thread and running stitches, sew around open end; pull thread to cinch fabric, and stitch to secure.
4. Thread long needle with floss. Wrap floss around pumpkin, pulling through the core several times, to add ridges.
5. For stem, cut out 2 stem-size pieces of fabric. Stitch pieces, right sides facing, leaving base open. Turn right side out; stuff with batting. Secure open end to pumpkin with slip stitches.