Tools and Materials
- Pumpkins of varying sizes
- Tiny white string lights
- Drill with 1/4-inch bit
- Fleshing tool (No. FT453), from Ceramic Supply Inc., 7ceramic.com
- Black tape
Celestial Pumpkins How-To
1. Turn a pumpkin on its side, and use a knife to carve out a circular opening in the bottom. Make the opening large enough so your hand can fit comfortably through it. Use a spoon to remove the flesh and seeds. With a serrated loop tool, scrape away the pumpkin's inner wall until it's about 1/4 inch thick. Turn the pumpkin right side up.
2. Drill holes using a 1/4-inch bit; use tape as a guide for a uniform pattern, or make randomly spaced holes.
3. Insert a string of lights through the bottom, and place one bulb in each hole, pushing the bulbs through so they protrude slightly. Tuck the remaining lights into the pumpkin, and turn the pumpkin right side up with the light string's plug running out from the bottom.