Tools and Materials
- Linen bathrobe, available atlinendreams.com
- Fabric (about 20 inches square) such as handkerchief linen, in Dark Sage, fromGray Linens Linen
- 'Ohi'a-lehua flower template
- Needle and thread
- Applique needle
Applique Robe with Hawaiian Floral Print How-To
1. Cut a square of fabric wide enough to span the robe's shoulders and drape down each sleeve (our fabric was 20 inches square; a similar robe is available at linendreams.com).
3. Position motif on robe, using the photograph and diagram as a guide; pin.
4. Baste 1/4 inch inside motif's perimeter with a 1/2-inch running stitch. Using an applique needle, turn 1 edge of motif under 1/8 inch, and secure with applique stitches (bring needle up through robe and motif at its folded edge, then down through robe only). Repeat, turning under and applique stitching entire motif. Remove basting stitches. Press with an iron.