Tools and Materials
- Craft knife
- Several pieces of mat board (32 by 40 inches), dickblick.com
- Hot-glue gun
- Apricot moire fabric, about 1 yard, bandjfabrics.com
- Decoupage glue, such as Mod Podge
- Foam craft brush
- Coral cording on cotton tape, mjtrim.com
- Wire cutters
- Costume bracelets or necklaces with gemstones, Bijoux Way
- Grosgrain ribbon, 4 to 5 inches wide, for bow
- Box Base Template and Lid Template
Bejeweled Valentine's Day Box How-To
1. Make box: using ruler and craft knife, cut 4 strips of mat board: two 1 1/8-inch strips (for base) and two 1-inch strips (for lid), all the width of board (32 inches). Print templates for the box base and lid; cut out. Trace 2 of each template onto mat board; cut out. You have 2 bases and 2 lids; set 1 base and 1 lid aside. Place remaining base on a flat surface. Working in sections and starting at the heart's inner point, affix 1 end of 1 strip to base with hot glue. Hold until the section dries, about 20 seconds. Continue gluing until you reach the bottom point. Rest base on its side; trim excess strip carefully so strip ends match up neatly. Repeat to attach a strip to the other side. Repeat to add strips to 1 lid piece.
2. Cover sides of base and lid: Cut a long strip of moire fabric that is 1/8 inch wider than the base's side and long enough to wrap around side of box. Working in sections and using decoupage glue and brush, align edge of fabric with side's top edge; pat in place, and trim any overhang. Repeat to cover side of lid in fabric.
3. Add decorative base and lid: Cut 2 large squares of moire fabric, a few inches larger than heart. Brush the top of second base piece with decoupage glue, and press it onto the center of 1 fabric square. Trim fabric to about 1 1/2 inches around heart. Make a series of snips in the excess fabric; glue the flaps to back of base, overlapping as needed. Repeat with remaining lid piece and fabric square. Using decoupage glue, attach cording tape to the back of both pieces, so the cord runs along edge; let dry. Hot-glue covered base and lid to the bottom and top of box, respectively.
4. Using wire cutters, snip gemstones from costume bracelet or necklace. Using hot-glue gun, attach gems to lid in a pattern. Tie ribbon into a bow; secure with hot glue to center of lid.