Tools and Materials
- Pillowcases (we used 20-by-20-inch Napoli vintage linen in Flax and Petwer, and 15-by-15-inch in Plum Frost, from libecohomestores.com, but you can substitute with any fabric of your choice)
- Disappearing-ink pen
- Heavy-duty thread
- Pillow inserts, one or two sizes smaller than original case
Textured Pillows How-To
1. Pinch the fabric: Turn the pillowcase turned inside out. Using a disappearing-ink pen, create a grid of evenly spaced dots on the pillowcase (each dot will be the tip of a fold).
2. Double-thread a needle with heavy-duty thread, and knot it. Pinch the fabric as shown. Pass needle through the fold (the farther from the tip you stitch, the more puckered the fold will be); then pull it all the way around fold.
3. Pass needle between doubled threads, below knot. Loop around twice; pass needle under loops, as shown. Pull the thread tight; tie it off. Repeat for each marked dot. Turn case right side out and insert the pillow. We recommend using a pillow insert that's one or two sizes smaller than the original case so the fabric has room to slouch. Stitch the end of the pillow closed.