Poached Salmon with Watercress and Peaches
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August July/August 2012
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 4 skinless salmon fillets (1 1/2 pounds total; 1 inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 2 tablespoons juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 2 large peaches, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
Poach salmon: In a large straight-sided skillet, combine 6 cups water, lemon slices, peppercorns, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; bring to a simmer over medium-high, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Add salmon (water should just cover fish), cover, and cook until opaque throughout, 5 to 8 minutes. With a wide, slotted spatula, transfer salmon to a plate.
To serve: Whisk together lemon zest and juice, oil, and mustard; season with salt and pepper. Divide watercress, peaches, and basil among four plates, top with salmon, and drizzle with dressing. Season with salt and pepper.