Santas in multiple sizes can be crafted using oval treat boxes, red paint, clip art, and glitter. Egg-shaped pressed-paper boxes come in a range of sizes. Larger ones can accommodate toys and accessories; small ones are perfect for candy. Use the version of clip art and templates sized to fit your box.
Tools and Materials
- Egg boxes, 4" (BX010), and 4 1/2" (BX011), from D. Blumchen
- Acrylic paint, in True Red (#5233129), by Deco-Art, from MisterArt.com
- Wool felt (WF210), 8" by 12", in white, from A Child's Dream Come True
- Small paintbrush
- Templates: Large Santa, Medium Santa, Small Santa
- Paper, in white and black
- Cover-weight paper (card stock), in red (#34320401), Pure White (#34323301), and Gravel (#34327001), $3.75 for 10 sheets; text-weight paper (#34306701), in black, both from Paper Source
- 1/4-inch hole punch
- Glue stick
- Hot-glue gun
- Craft glue
- Twinklets Diamond Dust Crystals (#04650102219), from Save-on-Crafts.com
- Shards vintage glass glitter, in Krystallos (#901), from Art Glitter.
- Trinket for Santa, such as a gift, a checklist, or a pine tree made from a bottle brush (optional)
Glittered Santa Treat Boxes How-To
1. Paint both halves of egg-shaped box with red acrylic paint using paintbrush; let dry.
2. Download the Santa clip art and templates (Large Santa, Medium Santa, or Small Santa); print onto white paper, and cut them out. Set face and rectangular coat trim aside. Trace mittens and cuffs onto white card stock; cut out. Trace arms onto red card stock; cut out. Trace belt onto black paper; cut out. Using hole punch, make black-paper buttons.
3. Using glue stick, affix face and coat trim to front half of box so the bottom of beard hangs over the top of coat trim. Glue belt onto the midsection, covering the bottom of coat trim. Glue buttons onto coat trim. Using hot-glue gun, attach mittens to arms, then glue cuffs where mittens meet arms; let dry.
4. Separate halves of box. Using clean paintbrush, apply craft glue to part of Santa's body. Holding Santa over a bowl, sprinkle spoonfuls of clear glass glitter over glued area; let dry. Repeat until entire body and beard are glittered (do not glitter face); let dry. Glitter both arms, front and back, except at the inner top area and inner mittens, where each arm will attach to body.
5. Using hot-glue gun, attach arms to body at the shoulders. Place a trinket under 1 arm if desired, and secure to body with hot glue. Wrap arm around trinket, and secure hands to body with hot glue.