- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large shallots, quartered and peeled (root end left intact)
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
- Red-pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 ears corn, shucked and halved
- 5 dozen clams, scrubbed
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 pound shell-on extra-jumbo shrimp (16 to 20)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
In a 12-quart stockpot, bring wine and 3/4 cup water to a boil. Add garlic, shallots, potatoes, and 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, if using; cover and cook 8 minutes. Add corn, clams, and lemons; cover and cook until clams have opened, 10 to 12 minutes. Add shrimp in a single layer, cover, turn off heat, and let sit until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 3 minutes.
With tongs or a spider, transfer shellfish and vegetables to a serving platter, setting lemons aside; discard any unopened clams. Pour broth into a bowl and whisk in butter, parsley, and oregano. Scrape flesh from half the lemons into broth, discarding skins. Serve shellfish and vegetables with remaining lemons and broth for dipping.