Fish Tacos with Spicy Slaw
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August July/August 2012
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1 pound skinless firm, white fish fillets, such as cod or striped bass, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small bunch cilantro, stems and leaves separated, roughly chopped
- 3 jalapenos
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- 3 napa cabbage leaves, shredded
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Smoky Seasoning Salt (see Cook's Notes)
- Lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 8 corn tortillas, toasted
- Sliced avocado, for serving
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Combine fish, cilantro stems, and jalapenos. Coat with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill fish and jalapenos until fish is opaque throughout and jalapenos are charred and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, cabbage, and onion. Seed and finely chop 2 grilled jalapenos and add to bowl. Season to taste with seasoning salt and lime juice. Flake fish and divide among tortillas. Top with slaw and serve with cilantro leaves; remaining grilled jalapeno, thinly sliced; more seasoning salt; lime wedges; and avocado.
Smoky Seasoning Salt
Combine 1/4 cup coarse sea salt, 2 tablespoons grated lime zest, 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.