Tools and Materials
All materials by Martha Stewart Crafts, available at marthastewartcrafts.com.
- 18-by-18-inch assorted craftstock
- Screw punch
- Glue stick
- Cutting mat
- Bone folder
- Assorted paper, such as:
12-by-12-inch crafting paper/pegboard multipack
8 1/2-by-11-inch vellum/swan multipack
White cherish labels
- Assorted ribbon, such as:
3/16-inch camellia pink-coffee bean piped nylon ribbon
3/16-inch brick-ladybug woven ombre ribbon
1/2-inch ladybug craft seam binding
- Optional tools for embellishment:
1-inch circle craft punch
Cornice edge punch
Sans serif alphabet acrylic stamp set
Ink stamp pad
Ribbon-Punched Valentine How-To
1. Create Message and Adhere to Card: Create card by cutting craftstock to size, and then folding in half. To achieve a crisp fold, first score the paper by running a bone folder along the edge of a ruler.
For cards with one heart and three hearts, layer vellum over patterned paper. Write or stamp message on vellum or on label and adhere to card.
For card with two hearts, cut contrasting craftstock to size and punch both long sides with edge punch. Clip corners with circle punch if desired and adhere to card.
2. Make the Embroidered Ribbon Hearts: Trace heart shape onto card. Punch holes in heart shape with screw punch on cutting mat. Adhere one end of a length of ribbon to back of heart. Embroider heart using a backstitch as follows: Thread ribbon up through a starting hole and back down through the hole preceding it. Come up through the next empty hole following your starting hole and repeat (each stitch will overlap the last). Adhere end to back of paper when finished.