Tools and Materials
- Handmade clay pots (Those with a rough finish work best; we used 7-inch pots.)
- Ingredients for paint solution (For the paint colors, we used: 2 cups water, 1 cup lime, 1 tablespoon acrylic paint.)
- Ingredients for paint solution (2 cups water, 1 cup lime, 1 tablespoon acrylic paint)
- Protective dust mask
- Latex gloves
- 2-inch chip brush
- Spray bottle with water
- Drying rack
- Fine-grit (220) sandpaper
- Dremel glue gun with fine tip
- Plant in plastic pot that is slightly smaller than decorated pot
- Spanish moss
Shell-Covered Pots How-To
1. Mix paint solution with whisk. Use a 2-inch chip brush to paint exterior and just inside the lip of the pot.
2. While the paint solution is still wet, spray with water using a spray bottle on the stream setting. Let pot dry on a rack for one hour.
3. Lightly sand pot with fine-grit sandpaper to create a distressed finish.
4. Use a glue gun to affix shells to pots.
5. Place plant inside finished pot. The pot will weather better if the plant is in a plastic pot within the decorated pot. Place Spanish moss around rim of pot.