Tools and Materials
- 3 long, straight branches (from which to hang the cauldron) and twigs (for the "fire") from your backyard
- Large pumpkin
- Keyhole saw or a serrated knife
- Fleshing tool
- 20-gauge wire, in green, by Panacea, from createforless.com
- S hook
- Twisted polypropylene rope, 1/4-inch, in tan, from acehardwareoutlet.com
- Eyebolt with nut ZP, 1/4-by-4 inches
- Washers and nuts, 1/4 inch, by Crown Bolt, from Home Depot
- Outdoor stake light (with a yellow or an orange bulb), from Aubuchon Hardware,hardwarestore.com
- Sturdy glass bowl, optional
- Dry ice, optional
Witch's Cauldron How-To
1. Gather 3 long, straight branches (from which to hang the cauldron) and twigs (for the "fire") from your backyard.
2. Cut the top off a large pumpkin using a keyhole saw or a serrated knife. Hollow the inside; a fleshing tool works well. Drill 3 holes equidistant from one another, about 2 inches below the opening.
3. Prop the branches in a tepee shape, and secure them at tepee top with 20-gauge wire; thread wire inside top to hang an S hook. Conceal visible wire with sisal rope.
4. Cut 3 lengths of sisal rope to hang the pumpkin. Tie 1 end of each rope to an eyebolt. Push eyebolts through the holes in pumpkin; secure with washers and nuts on the inside. Knot the rope ends together, and hang from the S hook.
5. For a "fire," cover an outdoor stake light (with a yellow or an orange bulb) with twigs. Please make sure you use an outdoor light. Put a sturdy glass bowl filled with dry ice inside the pumpkin for "mist" if desired (wear protective gloves when handling dry ice).