1 of 10
Whitewashed wood-paneled walls and honey-hued wooden slats on the floor are meant to make this space feel like a boat. The bookcase was designed by an architect for maximum storage -- and the convenience of reaching for a favorite read with a moving ladder.
2 of 10
Small and Tucked Away
Add practical storage and visual interest to a smaller space by combining books stacked by color with kitchen tools.
3 of 10
Simple and Practical
Subtle hues and casual comfort give intimate ease to this modern room. The top shelves are dedicated to an array of books of different sizes and colors while the bottom supports a mini bar area and cupboards below for storing extra items.
4 of 10
A Personal Library
If you have enough books to warrant your own card-catalog system, turn an entire wall into a mini library. Leave the rest of the room neutral so that the wall of books provide the only vivid color.
5 of 10
6 of 10
7 of 10
A Curated Display
Along one wall of the living room, floating shelves hold "things we think are beautiful," the owner of this home says; these include ceramic vessels, old bottles, surfboard fins that washed up on the beach, and even a twisted column of melted candle wax.
8 of 10
From the stairway, an internal window offers a glimpse of this den's plywood shelves and a midcentury Danish modern armchair.
9 of 10
A Smooth Transition
A rolling ladder, which slides between the open kitchen and the living area, allows access to shelves holding serving pieces and books.
10 of 10
You Just Viewed
Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing IdeasReplay
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- A Blueprint for Color
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- The Barest Simmer
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Decorate with Brass
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains