Source: The Martha Stewart Show, May 2012
- 2 3/4 pounds ripe plums, halved lengthwise, pitted, and cut into 3/4-inch-thick wedges (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped (reserve pod for another use)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Stir together plums, berries, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, brown sugar, lemon juice, ginger, and pinch of salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/3 cup granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or two knives until only pea-size clumps remain.
Stir vanilla seeds into the cream to combine; add to flour mixture and stir with a fork just until a soft, sticky dough forms. Use a bench scraper or knife to divide dough into 10 equal pieces; arrange on top of filling. Brush dough with cream and sprinkle evenly with sanding sugar.
Place a parchment-lined baking sheet on lower rack of oven to catch juices. Bake cobbler on top rack until topping is golden brown and juices are bubbling, 55 to 70 minutes. If topping is browning too quickly, tent with foil. Let cool on a wire rack 1 hour before serving.