Under 30 Minutes
Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta
- 4 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes (preferably a mix of colors), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup best-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 baguettes, cut in half horizontally
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
Preheat grill or broiler to high. Combine tomatoes, oil, 1 tablespoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
Toast cut side of baguette halves on grill or under broiler 1 to 2 minutes. While still hot, lightly rub cut surface with garlic. Spoon tomato mixture over bread with a slotted spoon, then add onion. Tear basil into pieces, and scatter on top. Slice each baguette half into 3- or 4-inch-long pieces (about 12 slices per baguette).
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July 2012