Under 30 Minutes
Beet and Kale Salad with Goat Cheese
Do as chef Chris Fischer does and cook an extra batch of the baby red beets. Toss them whole with salt, pepper, and a tablespoon of red-wine vinegar, and then serve them as an hors d'oeuvre.
- 2 bunches baby red beets, scrubbed (8 total; greens reserved for another use)
- 2 bunches baby Chioggia beets, scrubbed (8 total; greens reserved for another use)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 bunch Red Russian kale, trimmed and torn into pieces (7 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces mild goat cheese
Place beets in a large pot, and cover with water. Add enough salt so that the water tastes like the ocean, about 2 tablespoons. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until skins slip easily off beets, about 15 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel beets. Cut red beets into quarters lengthwise and Chioggias into 1/2-inch rounds. Combine beets, 2 tablespoons oil, and the vinegar, and gently toss.
Place kale in a large bowl, and bruise very roughly with hands. Add 1 tablespoon oil, season with salt and pepper, and massage into leaves 1 minute. Add lemon juice, and toss.
To serve, make a bed of kale on a platter, and scatter beets on top. Crumble goat cheese into chunks, and scatter over salad. Season with pepper.