Tools and Materials
- Card stock (black, yellow, white, and light blue)
- Circle cutters (small and large)
- Craft knife or scissors
- Ruler or straightedge
- Double-sided tape or glue stick
Bumblebee Art How-To
- Using the small circle cutter, cut two 1-inch circles from black card stock for the antennae ends. Cut two 2 1/2-inch circles from black card stock and two 2-inch circles from yellow card stock for the eyes.
- With the large circle cutter, cut a 6-inch circle from black card stock for the head and an 11-inch circle from yellow card stock for the body.
- Cut an additional 10-inch circle from black card stock, and without lifting up the cutter, adjust the blade to cut a 9-inch circle out of the center, forming a 1/2-inch ring. Cut this ring into quarters to make the antennae.
- Cut a 10-inch circle from white card stock and cut this circle into quarters to make the wings.
- Cut an 11-inch circle from black card stock and then using a craft knife and a straight edge, cut the circle into 2-inch strips to act as the stripes on the body.
- Lastly, cut a triangle from black card stock that is 2 inches tall with a 3-inch base to make the stinger.
- Using double-sided tape or a glue stick, assemble the bumblebee. Attach the head and stinger to the body; attach the stripes to the body, starting nearest the stinger and moving toward the head, using every other cut strip; create each eye from a 2-inch yellow dot affixed to a 2 1/2-inch black dot and attach to the head; and attach the 1-inch black dots to the ends of the antennae. Finish by attaching the wings to the main body and the antennae to the head.
- Mount completed bumblebee on a light-blue card stock background using double-sided tape or glue stick, place into frame, and secure frame back into place. (Tip: Use the back insert of the frame as a template for the green card stock background.)
Large sheets of card stock available from your local crafts supply store. Small circle cutter, large circle cutter, double-sided permanent tape roller, and glue stick all available from Martha Stewart Crafts. "Ribba" 16-inch by 10-inch frame available from Ikea.