In Hawaii, shrimp and pineapple are a natural pair; thread them on skewers and toss them on the grill for a fun luau-inspired dish.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, June 2012
- Vegetable oil, for grilling
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 1/2 pineapple, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 bunches scallions (white and light-green parts only), cut into 2-inch pieces
Soak 8 to 10 wooden skewers in water, 15 minutes. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Whisk together honey, soy sauce, and vinegar. Reserve half the sauce for serving.
Thread shrimp, pineapple, and scallions onto skewers. Grill until shrimp begin to turn opaque, 2 minutes. Brush with sauce, flip, and brush again. Grill until shrimp are opaque throughout and pineapple and scallions are lightly charred, about 3 minutes. Serve with reserved sauce.