Under 30 Minutes
Shrimp Club Salad
Crunchy romaine lettuce provides a refreshing complement to tender shrimp and smoky bacon. Iceberg lettuce or frisee would be delicious too.
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 1/2 loaf rustic bread, crusts removed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 3 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 slices cooked bacon (4 ounces), crumbled
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, chopped
- 1 pint large cherry tomatoes, quartered or halved
Twist on a Classic
Using shrimp in place of the usual chicken elevates this cool salad, inspired by the club sandwich -- a standby at American hotels and country clubs.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook shrimp until opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, then transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate, cover, and chill until ready to serve. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss bread with oil. Bake until golden, about 8 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Stir together mayonnaise, chives, and lemon juice to taste; season with salt and pepper. Toss together shrimp, croutons, bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes and serve with dressing.