Create beautiful, one-of-a-kind paintings using reclaimed wood with this how-to from artist Tracy Melton.
Tools and Materials
- Stump or slice of tree branch
- Banding wheel or cake decorating stand
- Craft paint
- Fine-art paint brushes
- Satin enamel finish
Tree Ring Paintings How-To:
- Sand and seal desired stump or slice of tree branch.
- Place stump on banding wheel or cake decorating stand. Wet paintbrush and dip in desired color of satin acrylic craft paint. Spin wheel, and bracing brush with both hands, apply color to stump, allowing spinning motion of stump to paint ring.
- Alternate colors as desired and finish center of painting with a white dot.
- Once rings have dried, spray or brush on satin enamel finish to seal and protect your work.
Satin acrylic craft paint, sealant spray, and brushes available from Martha Stewart Crafts.