1 of 12
Happy as Clams
For food editor Jennifer Aaronson and her family, joy is digging up something delicious together along the Rhode Island shore.
Jennifer's father, Jared Aaronson; her husband, Paul Molakides; and her son, 6-year-old Giorgio Molakides, dig for clams at low tide.
2 of 12
Worth the Wade
Jared, Giorgio, and Jennifer on the hunt with their gear: clam rakes, a bushel, and a mesh onion bag.
3 of 12
Hide and Seek
Giorgio looks for clams hiding in his rakeful of seaweed and rocks.
4 of 12
A Perfect Pair
Paul shows off a pair of cherrystones.
5 of 12
Raking It In
To rid clams of their sandy grit -- and to avoid tracking that grit into the house -- Jennifer Aaronson and her family give them a rinse in their outdoor shower.
6 of 12
Raw clams, such as these cherrystones and littlenecks, are easiest to open when they've been chilled for a few hours; the cold relaxes the muscle that keeps them clamped shut. Use a thin-bladed clam knife, which, unlike a pointed oyster knife, has a rounded tip and one sharp side.Watch the Video on How to Open Clams
7 of 12
After an afternoon of clamming, the family enjoys a sunset glass of rose on the beach.
8 of 12
The Swing Set
Some father-daughter roughhousing.
10 of 12
12 of 12
In Rhode Island, stuffed clams are known as stuffies; this version features fresh summer corn and savory linguica sausage, an ingredient made popular by the state's large Portuguese community.Get the Stuffed Clams with Linguica and Corn Recipe
You Just Viewed
A Rhode Island Clam DigReplay
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- A Blueprint for Color
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Decorate with Brass
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- The Barest Simmer