This mayo is like aioli, only fired up with cayenne pepper and laced with fragrant saffron. Try with: shellfish, grilled fish or pork, bouillabaisse.
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 cup boiling water, plus up to 2 tablespoons more if needed
- 2 garlic cloves
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup torn white bread, crust removed
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 2 crushed dried red chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
Crush saffron, and place in a medium bowl. Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over; steep 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop garlic, and add a pinch of salt. Mash into a paste with a knife's flat side or a mortar and pestle.
Add bread to saffron water; press to absorb.
Add egg yolk; stir to combine. Gradually add 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, stirring constantly, until smooth. Stir in remaining oil in a steady trickle.
Stir in garlic, cayenne or chiles, and paprika, and season with salt.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June 2012